FiRST NEW TRACK UP ON WH MYSPACE - UNDERSTANDiNG JANE

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter
Forum rules
Divvn't be a twat

FiRST NEW TRACK UP ON WH MYSPACE - UNDERSTANDiNG JANE

Postby Ean » 21st Apr 08, 12:52

Preview Track 1: Understanding Jane (April 21st)
Current mood: Understanding
Category: Understanding Music


Preview track 1 – Understanding Jane

Originally by – The Icicle Works

Lead Vocal by Ginger



Some words from Ginger & Scott about the song.

Ginger:

This song was the blueprint for My Baby Is A Headfuck. I love Ian McNabb's vocals and lyrics. His solo albums are also amazing (check out his first, self titled solo release). I had imagined we'd do a great version of this song as it has The Wildhearts stamped all over it. Hey, we only copy the best.

Scott:

How could you not want to cover this song? I've tried to write this song a thousand times. When a band can write a song with the same chords and structure that you've heard 1000 times before, and STILL make the hairs on your arm stand up.... learn everything you can from them.


http://www.myspace.com/thewildhearts
Last edited by Ean on 19th May 08, 19:05, edited 3 times in total.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby Sarc » 21st Apr 08, 12:59

Thats fookin mint that is, not a lot i can really say, i love it, the feel of it reminds of Fishing For More Luckies era b-sides.
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby Chris Norway » 21st Apr 08, 13:08

Really love it! Great summer tune, great solo and superb vocals as always. The Wildhearts could not go wrong with this song. Next please :wink:

C
Chris Norway
 
Posts: 94
Joined: 4th May 06, 00:12

Postby blackdeathcrew » 21st Apr 08, 13:18

Yep, like that 8)
blackdeathcrew
 
Posts: 578
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 13:30
Location: Worcestershire

Postby Jeeze » 21st Apr 08, 13:21

Aye, liking that one :)
Jeeze
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 15:34
Location: Birmingham, England

Postby Sarc » 21st Apr 08, 13:37

One for the music trivia fans, I just stuck Icicle Works in the ever so (un)reliable Wikipedia so i could have abit of a read and i discovered two things that pleasantly surprised me

1 - In the official members listing the have Ringo's son Zak listed, I never realised he'd been in an actual band I thought he'd just coasted by on his dads on wave.

2 - The song performed over the end credits of the film Scream by a band called SoHo is actually an Icicle Works cover, Whisper to A Scream.

Hehehe i like finding stuff out like this, im off to do it with the the rest of the bands covered
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby g_buzzard » 21st Apr 08, 13:39

That's my song for Summer 2008 sorted then.

The original was great but this is the mutts nuts!!
g_buzzard
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 21:25

Postby Ean » 21st Apr 08, 13:39

Sarc wrote:One for the music trivia fans, I just stuck Icicle Works in the ever so (un)reliable Wikipedia so i could have abit of a read and i discovered two things that pleasantly surprised me

1 - In the official members listing the have Ringo's son Zak listed, I never realised he'd been in an actual band I thought he'd just coasted by on his dads on wave.

2 - The song performed over the end credits of the film Scream by a band called SoHo is actually an Icicle Works cover, Whisper to A Scream.

Hehehe i like finding stuff out like this, im off to do it with the the rest of the bands covered

But how d'you know any of it's true? :?
Last edited by Ean on 21st Apr 08, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby my3dtvtan » 21st Apr 08, 13:39

Was hoping for Unsung, being the first track on the album an all but this is amazing! :D

Ginge's comment really helped me understand the album better - This is a hisory record of some of the songs that influenced the evolution of the band and the sounds that shaped them

The bit from 1:48 is almost an exact replica of Headfuck (or should that be vice versa :? ) and this gives me a whole new perspective on the song AND a whole Icicle Works discography to discover :D

Brilliant! The Wildhearts still on top form in 2008! Who'd av thunk that about 10 years ago... :wink:

btw anyone else get any Blink 182 - All The Small Things flashbacks!? Bloody 'ell! I never realised how influential this song was....
Interviewer - "So whats the secret of your longevity?"
Ginger - "Splitting up!"

"Bernard, its hot in the worm."

"School aint shit, I read it in a book"
my3dtvtan
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 8th Nov 06, 11:48
Location: Widnes, Cheshire

Postby Sarc » 21st Apr 08, 13:52

Ean wrote:
Sarc wrote:One for the music trivia fans, I just stuck Icicle Works in the ever so (un)reliable Wikipedia so i could have abit of a read and i discovered two things that pleasantly surprised me

1 - In the official members listing the have Ringo's son Zak listed, I never realised he'd been in an actual band I thought he'd just coasted by on his dads on wave.

2 - The song performed over the end credits of the film Scream by a band called SoHo is actually an Icicle Works cover, Whisper to A Scream.

Hehehe i like finding stuff out like this, im off to do it with the the rest of the bands covered

But how d'you know any of it's true? :?


Cuz I'm listening to the original Whisper to a Scream now and its the same song and the lord spoke and the lord say .......(adopts cool gravelly low Samuel L Jackson type voice)...........IT GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!
Last edited by Sarc on 21st Apr 08, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby g_buzzard » 21st Apr 08, 13:55

my3dtvtan wrote:btw anyone else get any Blink 182 - All The Small Things flashbacks!? Bloody 'ell! I never realised how influential this song was....


I keep on having Silver Sun - There Goes Summer flashbacks.
g_buzzard
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 21:25

Postby vanrad » 21st Apr 08, 16:14

"I'm having trouble understanding jane"

Yep, great, next tune please. Do we need to wait another week!?!
vanrad
 
Posts: 226
Joined: 16th Feb 06, 14:19
Location: Falkirk FK2

Postby Col » 21st Apr 08, 16:57

Great cover, was pleasently surprised.

Icicle works have just toured, still going but dunno in what form. Checkout Evangeline .
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 21st Apr 08, 17:01

never heard of this band or song before, and i'm thinking i've been missing out - FUCKING AWESOME, and like people have said, it's a great summery tune!!!
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
Image
spoon_of_grimbo
 
Posts: 915
Joined: 19th Aug 07, 13:56
Location: Boston, UK (Home) / Coventry, UK (Uni)

Postby Col » 21st Apr 08, 17:13

spoon_of_grimbo wrote:never heard of this band or song before,

fuckin hell, i feel old now :D
Col
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12th Feb 06, 17:28

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests