Is There Still A Place In The World For The Wildhearts?

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter
Forum rules
Divvn't be a twat

Postby EMMO » 12th Dec 08, 14:35

Is there a new album from Wildhearts in 09?

As much as I love the wildhearts the last album didnt do much for me.....sorry

but i loved Market Harbour - January wont be the same without a solo record from Ginger!
PHUQ, FISHING FOR LUCKIES, EARTH VS, ...MUST BE DESTROYED, DONT BE HAPPY,ENDLESS NAMELESS, THE WILDHEARTS, COUPLED WITH , ....STRIKE BACK,

www.emmosblog.co.uk
EMMO
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 9th Nov 07, 15:52

Postby Mick G » 12th Dec 08, 15:56

This is not meant to be disparaging, but with really top bands, who have strong personalities and identities, the fans and media usually pigeonhole them into some kind of stereotype, even without meaning to sometimes.

Then when the band writes quite challenging material, they are easily dismissed as not living up to their own great traditions.

The Wildies have suffered this, without doubt. People's preconceptions of what they want to hear from the band (and I include myself in this) so often clouds one's judgement of actually how good an album is.

For those who don't think much of the last album, WRONG, try again, is all I'm saying.

It might take you a while to catch up with what they're doing, but the latest album is a stormer. Musically it is superior, and there are some whopping songs in there too. Not every track is a bouncy singalong, but then THAT would be too obvious, wouldn't it?

There really is no pleasing some people, to be truthful. One day when you try (yet)again, it will dawn on you how immense that album is. Just go compare it to some squllion selling snooze-fest like GNR's Chinese Democracy and you'll realise how damn vital it sounds in comparison.
Mick G
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 12th Dec 08, 15:30

Postby Assmask » 12th Dec 08, 16:08

Mick G wrote:This is not meant to be disparaging, but with really top bands, who have strong personalities and identities, the fans and media usually pigeonhole them into some kind of stereotype, even without meaning to sometimes.

Then when the band writes quite challenging material, they are easily dismissed as not living up to their own great traditions.

The Wildies have suffered this, without doubt. People's preconceptions of what they want to hear from the band (and I include myself in this) so often clouds one's judgement of actually how good an album is.

For those who don't think much of the last album, WRONG, try again, is all I'm saying.

It might take you a while to catch up with what they're doing, but the latest album is a stormer. Musically it is superior, and there are some whopping songs in there too. Not every track is a bouncy singalong, but then THAT would be too obvious, wouldn't it?

There really is no pleasing some people, to be truthful. One day when you try (yet)again, it will dawn on you how immense that album is. Just go compare it to some squllion selling snooze-fest like GNR's Chinese Democracy and you'll realise how damn vital it sounds in comparison.


I think the last album was well up there - I really liked it and am still listening to it more than I am listening to Earth Vs or PHUQ. I don't see any point in rating the albums aginast each other as it is suck a hugely subjective thing. For example, I was a teenager going through puberty when EN came out, as such the angry nature of that album became like gospel to me. It depends a great deal on where you are as an emotional individual when you experience something. Not wholly that, of course, but it is a very big factor.

Try as you might, you will never ever hear The Wildhearts for the first time ever again, so the chances of you hearing anything to match Earth Vs is almost zero.

In term of quality balls out feel good/bad/everything rock music I think TW was the perfect album. I can't wait to see what comes next, I am expecting a cross between TW and TWMBD with some clever production. And I can't wait.
Assmask
 
Posts: 571
Joined: 30th Mar 06, 12:22
Location: Belfast

A place in my heart!

Postby Mick G » 12th Dec 08, 16:34

Couldn't agree more about your emotional and mental state affecting the way you receive an album.

In response to the original question, I think the drop from Hammersmith Apollo to the Forum surely disappointed the band, I guess they attempted to play there as ticket demand for the Earth VS show was high - but of course, some people had their WH fix a couple months ago in London.

The ticket wasn't cheap, and the rest of the bill wouldn't necessarily whet the appetite of the potentially interested gig-goer.

Bit of bad timing I think, for sales perhaps, but not for me!

It was blinding from where I was stood, the band sounded fantastic, it was a great set-list and Ginger's voice was excellent.

This will sound trite, sorry, but the Wildhearts ARE music, let alone having a place in it!

Long live the kings!
Mick G
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 12th Dec 08, 15:30

Postby vanrad » 12th Dec 08, 17:01

I goddam hope there is a place for The Wildhearts. It's a shame to hear Ginger had a bad night like that. I've seen him do this in the Garage in Glasgow a few years ago. It must be something to do with that he's openingly admitted to his bipolar disorder. I know nothing about this and won't comment anymore, apart from saying it's beyond belief that someone as talented as Ginger can be that insecure about his band and music.

All I do know I saw them just over a week ago in the Barrowlands. OK it wasn't sold out but it drew a respectable crowd in a challenged pre Xmas, credit crunch and gig crazy market.

Both support bands where great, but The Wildhearts where just awesome. Yeah I'd have loved a more obscure set, as I see them every tour, but they played a blinder. They played all the classics, a few things they don't often play, Ginger kept the banter to a fun and reasonable level, and was it me or was this the longest set they've ever played on a tour. Is was just plain great rock'n'roll! Nothing has ever competed for me, so YES there is a place for The Wildhearts. Keep 'getting it'!
vanrad
 
Posts: 226
Joined: 16th Feb 06, 14:19
Location: Falkirk FK2

Postby rockcity1971 » 12th Dec 08, 19:43

I thought they were supposed to start recording a new album after the December shows and release it in the spring. I thought CJ had stated that in a recent video interview somewhere. I'll bet there will be something new released in 2009.....I hope so anyway!!!! The Wildhearts have been a favorite of mine since 1993 and i've only seen them once.....they don't come around to Philly much!!!!!
rockcity1971
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 21st Nov 08, 19:07
Location: Philadelphia

Postby Trudi » 12th Dec 08, 20:31

Don't stress - Ginger's latest MySpace update reads thus:

"Ginger is writing with The Wildhearts.
Mood: electric"
Image
Trudi
 
Posts: 282
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 14:13
Location: London/Kent

Postby fiffiff » 12th Dec 08, 21:15

I guess the new album will come out in late spring/early summer. I remember reading that there will be four lead singers on the new album (just like on the cover album), and everyone will participate in songwriting. Bad, bad news...

The good news is are that they're playing in Finland (20th February) again, it will be their third gig here within 5 months. There are no other European dates confirmed yet, hopefully there is more (a Finnish tour would be nice...) to come. It is pretty odd that they play single gigs here. Anyway, this time I'm not going to be the one complaining.
I wanna live with the golden rule
a girlfriend and a swimming pool
fiffiff
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 2nd Mar 08, 10:07
Location: Tampere

Postby nig1012 » 12th Dec 08, 21:17

Trudi wrote:Don't stress - Ginger's latest MySpace update reads thus:

"Ginger is writing with The Wildhearts.
Mood: electric"


well done trudi you beat Ean :lol:
is your silence making you lonely?
or is your lonliness making you silent?
nig1012
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 30th Mar 06, 19:16
Location: crewe

Postby Sarc » 12th Dec 08, 21:20

fiffiff wrote:I guess the new album will come out in late spring/early summer. I remember reading that there will be four lead singers on the new album (just like on the cover album), and everyone will participate in songwriting. Bad, bad news...
.


How on earth is that bad news? if they are writing together then surely thats a good thing as it takes pressure off Ginge and may even possibly mean the album gets finished quicker as it won't be just one person writing it right?
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby Assmask » 12th Dec 08, 22:01

I think "bad news" because that means the pure distilled genius of Ginger becomes diluted.

I both agree and disagree. I tend to think the CJ penned songs can be the weakest, yet the ones with Ritch involved can be epic.

Scott is an unknown quantity.
Assmask
 
Posts: 571
Joined: 30th Mar 06, 12:22
Location: Belfast

Postby lob » 13th Dec 08, 00:30

'taint bad news to me. I am just glad G isn't shouldering all the work, it helped frazzle him before and I would rather a healthy man making good music than an unhealthy man burning out.

If the stuff Scott played with the Sinatra's when I saw them is anything to go by he can add some steel to the mix
Blimey but I am tired
lob
 
Posts: 134
Joined: 11th Aug 06, 15:45
Location: London/Oxford

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 14th Dec 08, 19:37

Obviously, the answer is YES!

I thoroughly enjoyed the London show even though Ginger was in a weird mood - but that's just Ginger isn't it? We all have our 'off' days, and maybe he has more than most. He didn't seem at all happy with the sound on stage, but from where I was it sounded a hell of a lot better out front than it did at Shepherds Bush. I noticed him giving the mic stands a hard time at one point and didn't realise what was going on, but he seemed to get over it and pull things together. By the end when he apologised I was wondering if I had missed somthing 'cos I didn't think he had anything too much to apologise for. Hey - at least he didn't show an Axl type hissy-fit. He came back and finished the show and I certainly felt I got my money's worth. It was a Wildhearts show - and shit happens. Ginger has shown that he can bounce back from the shit that life throws at him and and turn it around into inspiration for more great music - and he comes back stronger than before.

And as Trudi pointed out - Ginger's 'MySpace status' thingy has since said "Ginger is writing with The Wildhearts" - and he wouldn't be doing that if he didn't think the band had a future. I spoke to CJ a while back and he said he thought the Wildhearts had at least another five albums in them so I wouldn't worry to much - I think they''ll be around for a while now they finally seem to have a stable lineup. :D
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet
 
Posts: 422
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 22:05
Location: London

Postby shadow » 14th Dec 08, 20:40

im with EMMO here......its a personal thing but i thought the direction G was taking with MH was the most exciting thing to emerge from anything WH related ever ....hope its not lost.....and his solo tours with band are much more appealing( once again personally speaking) maybe if WH material is to become a mutually penned project G will give more time to his solo stuff....thats if hes got any time to spare
shadow
 
Posts: 146
Joined: 3rd Feb 07, 20:36

Postby Andy Santiago » 14th Dec 08, 21:19

Yes, there is most certainly a place in the word for The Wildhearts and just because Ginger has a bad gig does not mean that they are gonna split (again) so for all the bringers of doom and speculators, get a fucking grip and stop been so negative.
"All fucked up and ready to roll"!!
Andy Santiago
 
Posts: 215
Joined: 26th Feb 06, 22:55
Location: Shitsville DN4.

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests