The Junkenstein Quandary

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter
Forum rules
Divvn't be a twat

The Junkenstein Quandary

Postby zachary_storm » 19th Apr 08, 01:15

CONTINUED FROM HERE

nuno75 wrote:
SteveP wrote:
SiN1758 wrote:Hey, it's just opinion y'know. I'm not a complete Wildies fanboi, and there have been Wildhearts releases / videos that I've thought weren't up to par. The So Into You video (and song for that matter) weren't spectacularly good, for example.

And just like every other Ginger / Wildhearts release - if this one isn't to your liking, chances are the next one will be.


And that's exactly where opinion comes in. So Into You is one of my favourite Wildhearts songs, granted, the video wasn't exactly mind blowing, but I did like the concept of it.

As for not liking any Wildhearts songs, I honestly think that there isn't one I don't like, BUT, I do go through periods where, if I'm listening to an album, I'll skip a track thatI don't fancy listening to to at theat particular time.


Junkenstein. There's never a situation in which I can enjoy Junkenstein even a little bit.

Besides that one, I could write up a huge list of Wildhearts songs that I don't like, but if I'm being honest, it's only in comparison to other Wildhearts songs and not in comparison to all other music in general. Besides Junkenstein, I still like the Wildhearts songs that I "don't like" more than most other music.


can you really class "Junkenstein" as a song though?! i've always seen it as an opener to an amazing album with an epic ending!!

i mean... we've seen/heard o the band playing anthem, urge and even nurse maximum, but never Junkenstein... because - in my opinion if not many others - its only an intro kinda thing...

...i get me even if no-one else does! :wink:
"ONLY THOSE THAT KNOW HOW TO ROCK KNOW WHEN TO ROLL!!!"
zachary_storm
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 15th Dec 07, 21:53
Location: Rochdale, Manchester

Postby Ean » 19th Apr 08, 02:45

Junkenstein was a regular in the live set on the Anthem tour. And it's great live!

...and on the rekkid too. :D
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 19th Apr 08, 03:40

i dont even get the whole love/hate thing with endless nameless. i've heard albums with worse production, and if you look past that, the songs are gold. i still need to get the cd of it though, i'm currently making do with a (not entirely legal) download. anyone got a spare copy they'd sell?
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
Image
spoon_of_grimbo
 
Posts: 915
Joined: 19th Aug 07, 13:56
Location: Boston, UK (Home) / Coventry, UK (Uni)

Postby zachary_storm » 19th Apr 08, 13:47

Ean wrote:Junkenstein was a regular in the live set on the Anthem tour. And it's great live!

...and on the rekkid too. :D


that was the tour for the album though... they're bound to do lots off the album when they're touring for it! like... alice cooper... no-one hears him do "the awakening", "years ago" or "steven" anymore but on the "welcome to my nightmare" tour they were played every night! -minus the last tour where he DID play steven!!!

(& in my opinion they still should be played on every tour!)
"ONLY THOSE THAT KNOW HOW TO ROCK KNOW WHEN TO ROLL!!!"
zachary_storm
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 15th Dec 07, 21:53
Location: Rochdale, Manchester

Postby nuno75 » 19th Apr 08, 14:25

spoon_of_grimbo wrote:i dont even get the whole love/hate thing with endless nameless. i've heard albums with worse production, and if you look past that, the songs are gold. i still need to get the cd of it though, i'm currently making do with a (not entirely legal) download. anyone got a spare copy they'd sell?


I love Endless Nameless. I could just do without Junkenstein.
nuno75
 
Posts: 528
Joined: 15th May 07, 22:48

Postby Ean » 19th Apr 08, 16:43

zachary_storm wrote:
Ean wrote:Junkenstein was a regular in the live set on the Anthem tour. And it's great live!

...and on the rekkid too. :D


that was the tour for the album though... they're bound to do lots off the album when they're touring for it!


Just like they were bound to do lots off the album when they toured it this time last year? :wink:

Actually it was the Anthem Single tour. The band self-destructed before the Album tour would have started.

Still, my memory may have been playing tricks on me, as a check of the setlists from that time reveals a conspicuously not there Junkenstein... Hmmm :? Anyone else remember it?

BTW. By what criteria does Junkenstein not count as a song?
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby SiN1758 » 19th Apr 08, 18:16

Ean wrote:Still, my memory may have been playing tricks on me, as a check of the setlists from that time reveals a conspicuously not there Junkenstein... Hmmm :? Anyone else remember it??


Didn't they play it at the Shepherds Bush Empire show? I'm sure I remember hearing it on the Abhoria Records (remember them?) bootleg!

And if they didn't play it, they probably should have. It's a great tune!
SiN1758
 
Posts: 171
Joined: 18th Apr 07, 14:38
Location: Herts

Postby Ean » 19th Apr 08, 18:22

SiN1758 wrote:
Ean wrote:Still, my memory may have been playing tricks on me, as a check of the setlists from that time reveals a conspicuously not there Junkenstein... Hmmm :? Anyone else remember it??


Didn't they play it at the Shepherds Bush Empire show? I'm sure I remember hearing it on the Abhoria Records (remember them?) bootleg!

And if they didn't play it, they probably should have. It's a great tune!


See I thought they did too, and at Wolvo, but according to Dingwall's Bootleg site, it's not on the setlists :-

29/07/1997 Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall
??-->CD
1. Anthem 2. My Baby Is A Headfuck 3. Nurse Maximum 4. Urge 5. I Wanna Go Where The People Go 6. If Life Is Like A Lovebank (I Want An Overdraft) 7. Pissjoy 8. S.I.N. (In Sin) 9. Pump It Up 10. Suckerpunch 11. White Lies 12. Lost Highway 13. He's A Whore 14. Heroin 15. Sick Of Drugs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

31/07/1997 Shepherds Bush Empire
Video-->MiniDisc-->wav-->CD
1. Anthem 2. My Baby Is A Headfuck 3. Murse Maximim 4. Urge 5. I Wanna Go Where The People Go 6. If Life Is Like A Lovebank (I Want An Overdraft) 7. Pissjoy 8. S.I.N. (In Sin) 9. Pump It Up 10. Suckerpunch (Slight cut between tracks 10+11) 11. Talking 12. Caffeine Bomb 13. White Lies 14. Instrumental Jam 15. Heroin 16. Sick Of Drugs


Unless they segued straight into Nurse Maximum?
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby kriscoverdale » 20th Apr 08, 10:39

Ean wrote:Still, my memory may have been playing tricks on me, as a check of the setlists from that time reveals a conspicuously not there Junkenstein... Hmmm :? Anyone else remember it?


I don't recall it on the EN tour. Did it maybe get an airing either on the Motorhead support tour, or perhaps at the Ginger's Angry Youth one-off show?
kriscoverdale
 
Posts: 278
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 13:48

Postby zachary_storm » 20th Apr 08, 11:37

Ean wrote:
zachary_storm wrote:
Ean wrote:Junkenstein was a regular in the live set on the Anthem tour. And it's great live!

...and on the rekkid too. :D


that was the tour for the album though... they're bound to do lots off the album when they're touring for it!


Just like they were bound to do lots off the album when they toured it this time last year? :wink:

Actually it was the Anthem Single tour. The band self-destructed before the Album tour would have started.

Still, my memory may have been playing tricks on me, as a check of the setlists from that time reveals a conspicuously not there Junkenstein... Hmmm :? Anyone else remember it?

BTW. By what criteria does Junkenstein not count as a song?


ah ok! yeh that be quite a good point... although... the first tour for the new album happened not long after the album came out... so people won't have known much off it by then anyway...

& i don't really class it as a song, not sure why to be honest... but i've always seen it as an opener to the album...? could just be me...
"ONLY THOSE THAT KNOW HOW TO ROCK KNOW WHEN TO ROLL!!!"
zachary_storm
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 15th Dec 07, 21:53
Location: Rochdale, Manchester

Postby whatevermort » 20th Apr 08, 12:10

I've always really loved it, actually. First time I heard Endless was on headphones, and I loved that the trick, to make me turn my volume up, worked, and then blew my head off. It's a great opener, yes - you couldn't close an album with it - but to say it's not a song is just ridiculous. It does exactly the same job as, say, Drinking About Life, and nobody is questioning whether that is a song or not.

Dictionary.com wrote: Song, Noun. a short metrical composition intended or adapted for singing, esp. one in rhymed stanzas; a lyric; a ballad.
whatevermort
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 14th Feb 07, 23:09

Postby my3dtvtan » 20th Apr 08, 12:23

Hmm never in a decade of repeted listens have I ever classed Junkenstein as an intro or opener in anyway :?

That song was one of the main reasons I fell in love with the band and to be honest one of my fav songs from that era. I still cant get enough of the sheer weight of that riff! Its a classic to this day. To then hear Geordie in Wonderland in comparison blew my mind! :D

Oh btw it was played at the Gingers Angry Youth show but thats the only time Ive herd it live aulthough, it may have been played on the Motorhead tour as I was pretty ill that night and dont remember much exept for Genius Penis with Jon singing his heart out :wink:
Interviewer - "So whats the secret of your longevity?"
Ginger - "Splitting up!"

"Bernard, its hot in the worm."

"School aint shit, I read it in a book"
my3dtvtan
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 8th Nov 06, 11:48
Location: Widnes, Cheshire

Postby Ean » 20th Apr 08, 19:16

zachary_storm wrote:
Ean wrote:
zachary_storm wrote:that was the tour for the album though... they're bound to do lots off the album when they're touring for it!


Just like they were bound to do lots off the album when they toured it this time last year? :wink:


ah ok! yeh that be quite a good point... although... the first tour for the new album happened not long after the album came out... so people won't have known much off it by then anyway...

As opposed to the Anthem tour, which was four months before the album came out... :wink:

& i don't really class it as a song, not sure why to be honest... but i've always seen it as an opener to the album...? could just be me...

It just seems odd, that's all. I could probably understand more if it was a bit of music with some aound effects over it or something.

I know it's quite short, but it's not even in the top 10 of shortest WH songs, and it's got 2 verses; 2 choruses and a middle 8. It's got a fade in (admittedly a loong one), but then so do Show A Little Emotion, Jonesing For Jones and And The Bullshit Goes On... :?
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby zachary_storm » 20th Apr 08, 21:05

Ean wrote:
zachary_storm wrote:
Ean wrote:
zachary_storm wrote:that was the tour for the album though... they're bound to do lots off the album when they're touring for it!


Just like they were bound to do lots off the album when they toured it this time last year? :wink:


ah ok! yeh that be quite a good point... although... the first tour for the new album happened not long after the album came out... so people won't have known much off it by then anyway...

As opposed to the Anthem tour, which was four months before the album came out... :wink:

& i don't really class it as a song, not sure why to be honest... but i've always seen it as an opener to the album...? could just be me...

It just seems odd, that's all. I could probably understand more if it was a bit of music with some aound effects over it or something.

I know it's quite short, but it's not even in the top 10 of shortest WH songs, and it's got 2 verses; 2 choruses and a middle 8. It's got a fade in (admittedly a loong one), but then so do Show A Little Emotion, Jonesing For Jones and And The Bullshit Goes On... :?


ah ok didnt know aboot the anthem tour thang!

but yeh! i dunno! it just seemed like an intro to me... (not so extreme but) like baby strange is to nita nitro & cold patootie tango is to caprice...

especially as it goes straight into nurse maximum...

dunno! its just my opinion on it! dont get me wrong i love it & cant imagine the album without it... just doest SEEM like a proper song when listening to it...
"ONLY THOSE THAT KNOW HOW TO ROCK KNOW WHEN TO ROLL!!!"
zachary_storm
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 15th Dec 07, 21:53
Location: Rochdale, Manchester

Postby Ean » 20th Apr 08, 21:28

Fairy 'nuff. :D

In all the wide and varied correspondence about this album over the years - and this is one thing we're all pretty vociferous about - I've never heard it mentioned before.

So I guess congratulations are in order for finding a new angle on the Endless Nameless debate. :wink:
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests