Page 1 of 2

Gut Records in administration

PostPosted: 20th Aug 08, 00:35
by Damian
Gut Records went into administration yesterday (18th August).

Thought I'd mention it, seeing as "...Must Be Destroyed" and (I think) "...Strike Back" came out through them...

PostPosted: 20th Aug 08, 01:07
by spoon_of_grimbo
as did "coupled with"

if anyone hasn't got these yet, might be an idea to snap them up pretty sharpish, before they become as rare as EN.

PostPosted: 20th Aug 08, 01:11
by Ean
Or buy extra copies for when they do... :wink:

PostPosted: 20th Aug 08, 17:48
by gimme
If endless nameless is rare, how did i end up with a red promo copy for a bout 2 or 3 quid?

:P

Re: Gut Records in administration

PostPosted: 20th Aug 08, 20:36
by SiN1758
Damian wrote:Gut Records went into administration yesterday (18th August).

Thought I'd mention it, seeing as "...Must Be Destroyed" and (I think) "...Strike Back" came out through them...


Serves them right if it's true. They certainly didn't do the WH any favours!

Re: Gut Records in administration

PostPosted: 20th Aug 08, 23:44
by spoon_of_grimbo
SiN1758 wrote:
Damian wrote:Gut Records went into administration yesterday (18th August).

Thought I'd mention it, seeing as "...Must Be Destroyed" and (I think) "...Strike Back" came out through them...


Serves them right if it's true. They certainly didn't do the WH any favours!


eh? what happened between WH and Gut?

Re: Gut Records in administration

PostPosted: 21st Aug 08, 10:22
by SiN1758
spoon_of_grimbo wrote:
SiN1758 wrote:
Damian wrote:Gut Records went into administration yesterday (18th August).

Thought I'd mention it, seeing as "...Must Be Destroyed" and (I think) "...Strike Back" came out through them...


Serves them right if it's true. They certainly didn't do the WH any favours!


eh? what happened between WH and Gut?


According to one of the features on the WH site, they pulled out of giving the WH any financial support on the Darkness European tour (approx 1 week before they were set to start the tour). Also, I seem to remember Ginger saying that the band didn't get paid for sales of "Coupled With" (it may have even been released without their permission - I'm not sure)

PostPosted: 21st Aug 08, 13:05
by Zo
I have one thing to say to this news...

HA!!!

Re: Gut Records in administration

PostPosted: 21st Aug 08, 18:45
by Andwah
SiN1758 wrote:Ginger saying that the band didn't get paid for sales of "Coupled With" (it may have even been released without their permission - I'm not sure)


Yeah, was Coupled with not a 'Lets get the fans to buy all the b-sides again' release
? A long way from the olden days when you had to go to the shops early the day of a single release to make sure you got the 3 b-sides by the only means available.

Re: Gut Records in administration

PostPosted: 21st Aug 08, 19:48
by SiN1758
Andwah wrote:
SiN1758 wrote:Ginger saying that the band didn't get paid for sales of "Coupled With" (it may have even been released without their permission - I'm not sure)


Yeah, was Coupled with not a 'Lets get the fans to buy all the b-sides again' release
? A long way from the olden days when you had to go to the shops early the day of a single release to make sure you got the 3 b-sides by the only means available.


Pretty much, with a couple of bonus tracks - Return To Zero (only available on vinyl originally) and Better Than Cable (only available on vinyl and at the time, on the Japanese Riff After Riff After Motherfucking Riff EP).

Don't get me wrong though, it is a great album, and, if you haven't bought all the singles, it's a good way of getting to hear them. Just not so much for people that did buy them.

PostPosted: 21st Aug 08, 20:50
by Andwah
Plus most of us on here feel we NEEDED it anyway to fill the gap that it's release created... Bastards, i'm so predictable.

Re: Gut Records in administration

PostPosted: 21st Aug 08, 22:47
by EvilElvis
SiN1758 wrote:
spoon_of_grimbo wrote:
SiN1758 wrote:
Damian wrote:Gut Records went into administration yesterday (18th August).

Thought I'd mention it, seeing as "...Must Be Destroyed" and (I think) "...Strike Back" came out through them...


Serves them right if it's true. They certainly didn't do the WH any favours!


eh? what happened between WH and Gut?


According to one of the features on the WH site, they pulled out of giving the WH any financial support on the Darkness European tour (approx 1 week before they were set to start the tour). Also, I seem to remember Ginger saying that the band didn't get paid for sales of "Coupled With" (it may have even been released without their permission - I'm not sure)


Did they not sign everyone on the WH's mailing list onto one of their own lists?

Something about Ready Teddy Death

Just checked their site: they are currently responsible for - Tears For Fears, Right Said Fred, Fighstar (The Emo band with the lad from Busted) and Crazy Frog - I second Zo in the HA! comment....

PostPosted: 21st Aug 08, 23:52
by Monica_ICE
I need a translation here. What do you mean Gut "went into administration"? That doesn't translate over here. Doesn't every business have to have an administration to do the paperwork and business?

PostPosted: 22nd Aug 08, 02:09
by spoon_of_grimbo
administration means the company's collapsed and they're frantically selling off what they've got left to try and keep the owners out of complete financial ruin.... i THINK.


also, one decent album on Gut that should be in more collections is "the trees are dead and dried out, wait for something wild" by SikTh.

PostPosted: 22nd Aug 08, 10:26
by Radish
I think another term that could be used (and possibly understood stateside) is gone into receivership. Basically the company is no longer trading and the administrators have been called in to go through the books as it were, and pay off whoever they can if a buyer can't be found. If they can't pay everything off then debt either gets written off and the owners declared bankrupt, or they get dumped in a pile of shit about as deep as it can be, the latter a bit like what they tried to do to the Wildhearts of course with the whole non-tour-funding thing. And now somebody's reminded me of that bloody Ready Teddy Death thing (that only stopped being spammed to me after my employer's legal department sent them a threatening letter) good bloody riddance to the bastards... :twisted: