FOURTH NEW TRACK UP ON WH MYSPACE - iCE HOCKEY HAiR

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter
Forum rules
Divvn't be a twat

FOURTH NEW TRACK UP ON WH MYSPACE - iCE HOCKEY HAiR

Postby Sarc » 12th May 08, 13:29

Preview Track Four - Ice Hockey Hair (May 12th)

Originally by The Super Furry Animals

Lead Vocal by Ritch Battersby

Some words from Ritch, Ginger, Cj and Scott.

Ritch says:

Had I known I was going to be asked to sing songs I'd suggested, I'd probably have chosen a couple of classics from Chad Valley Hits - My 1st karaoke Machine - Vol One. As it happens, I'm glad I didn't. I love this song nearly as much as I love the drum fill into the outro.

Ginger says:

This song gets the hairs standing up on every inch of my body. And to think that they kept this track for an E.P. SFA are one of our greatest treasures and this, for me, is their finest hour. Ritch handles the vocals impeccably. Man, how talented are The Wildhearts? What am I doing singing every song? No more, I tells ya. With voices like this they can all lend a hand singing on albums to come. If you don't already have every album by SFA then I suggest beginning with Radiator and working your way through the lot of em. They just have so many great songs and create amazing soundscapes to go along with the cool tunes.
I think Run Christian Run is my joint favourite with this one.

CJ says:

Really cool song and great to hear Ritch sing...he can even do that vocoder shit with his voice amazing...Think this could be my favourite...chilled

Scott says:

I had never heard this song until it was talked about as being a cover. It's great, it's melodic, and it's catchy as fuck. I love the chorus. Every time I hear it I can't get the chorus out of my head. It also doesn't sound like something people would expect us to do. Perfect.

Next week's the biggie... not Smalls.

http://www.myspace.com/thewildhearts
Last edited by Sarc on 12th May 08, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby burgerrock » 12th May 08, 13:39

WOW!! that is all i can say at this time
burgerrock
 
Posts: 204
Joined: 1st Nov 06, 20:07

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 12th May 08, 14:20

holy fuck!!! i remember looking up the original on youtube when the tracklisting was first announced, and thought "this is gonna sound fucking weird if the wildies cover it," but this sounds totally natural for them, and i'm loving ritch's vocals!

normally i can take or leave covers (they're not usually worth more than a novelty listen for me), but all four so far have been amazing!
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
Image
spoon_of_grimbo
 
Posts: 915
Joined: 19th Aug 07, 13:56
Location: Boston, UK (Home) / Coventry, UK (Uni)

Postby Chris Davies » 12th May 08, 14:46

Great song , excellent cover. I really wanna hear these songs not on myspace , cause the sound is fucking awful.
Chris Davies
 
Posts: 480
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:12
Location: Swansea

Postby burgerrock » 12th May 08, 14:52

its out a week today!! Horray!
burgerrock
 
Posts: 204
Joined: 1st Nov 06, 20:07

Postby inglorious01 » 12th May 08, 15:25

The best one so far in my opinion.
inglorious01
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 18th Apr 07, 12:04
Location: Derby

Postby Sarc » 12th May 08, 15:41

Anyone else reckon Ritchy's been taking vocal lessons?
Did you just say "Pig Flute"?

http://www.amiatwat.com

Please welcome a new kind of Mod
Sarc
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 25th Apr 07, 22:27
Location: Brighton

Postby whatevermort » 12th May 08, 18:20

Oh, now this is more like it. I was so worried that this would be NOFX'd up, but it's just nicely chunky. And the harmonies are still there and lovely. And the guitars sounds great. I am just sold.

For reference: I CANNOT WAIT to hear Rocket 69, Possum Kingdom and Rearrange You.
whatevermort
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 14th Feb 07, 23:09

Postby Lord Iffy Boatrace » 12th May 08, 18:38

ye definitely the best song so far imo
Lord Iffy Boatrace
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 20th Feb 06, 13:49
Location: East Kilbride, Scotland

Postby Damian » 12th May 08, 19:17

This is the one I've been waiting for... listening now...

Well, it's the straightest cover of the lot... bit faster, guitars louder (unsurprisingly)... you can't go wrong with this song really though, can you?

If this makes everyone reading this board go out and buy every SFA album then mission accomplished. If anyone's got a local FOPP, their "best of" is currently 3 quid. Which gets you the best of the first six albums but misses the most recent two, of which "Hey Venus!" is pretty essential and... just buy everything they've made.
Damian
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: 11th Feb 06, 02:14
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Nickinvincible » 12th May 08, 20:07

definitely the best one so far i reckon. i don't know any of the tracks they're covering so they're all quite new to me, this one is awesome!
Nickinvincible
 
Posts: 217
Joined: 3rd Mar 06, 15:08
Location: London

Postby SiN1758 » 12th May 08, 20:51

Wow.

That is all.
SiN1758
 
Posts: 171
Joined: 18th Apr 07, 14:38
Location: Herts

Postby Ean » 12th May 08, 21:06

Ooh, he's good, isn't he!!

I thought I didn't know this song, but apparently I just didn't remember what it was called.

Liking it. :D
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."

WH THEMED WH EMOTiCONS? MAiS OUi!!
User avatar
Ean
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 15:44
Location: Just next to my confuser

Postby fluffygrue » 12th May 08, 21:07

Mm, possibly even better than the original. :D

Everyone should go out and buy Radiator, agreed.
fluffygrue
 
Posts: 528
Joined: 23rd Feb 06, 15:47
Location: Manchester, UK

Postby SiN1758 » 12th May 08, 21:34

Sarc wrote:Anyone else reckon Ritchy's been taking vocal lessons?


He's certainly put some effort into it hasn't he? Surprisingly great vocals from someone who doesn't even do backing vox (live, not sure about studio).

On a seperate note, I'd forgotten just how good the Super Furry Animals are, this has certainly whetted my appetite for them - will certainly getting an album or two come payday.
SiN1758
 
Posts: 171
Joined: 18th Apr 07, 14:38
Location: Herts

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests